Tuesday, February 16, 2016

How cool is that...

I wish I could pick a highlight for the week but I don't know if I can. I’ll start off with the bad news. We had to see another Brother go home this week early. I had the chance to go on exchanges with him the day before he left. The short time he has been in the mission field has changed his life as it would change anyone's. I do look forward to seeing him come back on a mission soon.

One of the great blessings of being an only child I’ve found on my mission is having the ability to love my missionary friends like real brothers. I don't know what having a brother feels like but I imagine it’s something like the feelings I have for these great men I serve with out here. Sometimes they drive me up the wall. I feel like I’m babysitting them and sometimes I feel they are babysitting me. But in the end whatever we don't agree on is of no big importance. I love these kids I love meeting more of them each transfer but I hate leaving some each transfer as well. And I dread the day I have to leave them all and go on that plane home.

Pretty cool story of the week though! We have been working with an investigator for a little while who seemed waaay solid at first. Had lots of contact with the church in the past and we really looked forward to teaching them. As time went on however we found in tough to get in contact with them… near impossible really. This past week, out of desperation to get in contact with them, we randomly stopped at their house. As we got to the door and was about to knock both me and Hastings paused a little, confused as we thought we heard angels singing. As we listened closer from inside we heard the mother and the daughter (8 months old) on the piano playing and singing along to "I need thee every hour." What a great uplift to mine and Hastings spirits. Needless to say we were able to get inside and have a great lesson with hem.

I was pretty much in the same meeting my family was in on Sunday!!!! How cool is that?!?! There was a regional broadcast and when I heard Hawaii was tuned in my heart beat for joy. I had to take a small moment and close my eyes and picture my mom and dad sitting right next me as I listened to the conference. Don’t get me wrong, I love this mission more than anything before but my heart aches for my parent’s souls. I love this gospel. I have an eternal family and because of repentance I’ve been able to help others make covenants with God and make their families eternal. I love my brothers out here. I love my brother Jesus Christ. I love My Father in Heaven. I feel his love though Christ. Repentance is real. The atonement washes everything clean.

-Elder Thomas Johnson

1 comment:

  1. That is cool that you were able to be witness to that mom and daughter singing.

    I love you. I feel the same way about some of my mission companions. I would do anything for them. Some have changed my life forever, and some I still look up to.

    One of my heroes is Sam. He was an AP when I was in my second area. He was awesome then, but he is even more awesome now. I only keep up with him on Facebook, but he still strengthens me.

    God Bless you Elder Johnson!

    ReplyDelete