Monday, October 12, 2015

The basic, day to day things thing I do as a missionary...

Well, it’s been a good week as always. The sad part of the week is I had another old companion go home early from their mission. He needed surgery on his knee so hopefully I’ll see him again in the WA-TAC before I go home. Keep Elder Ward in your prayers, please.

OK so I kind of realized I haven’t ever told everyone back home about the basic, day to day things thing I do as a missionary. So that's what this email will be about.

So at…

6:25 am (every morning)
We get up and drive to the track so I can run a few miles. I love this part of the morning. It’s one of the few times I can have a few minutes to myself and think of the things I need to do that day. Although I miss being in the same shape I was when I was at home. haha

7:10 am
We are at home and have 50 minutes to shower, change, and eat so we can be studying by 8.

8-9 am
We have personal study. In this mission we are required to read 30 mins in the Book of Mormon and Preach My Gospel daily. This is always a very spiritual time when I am able to study the gospel of Christ and get to know him more personally. I also make sure what I am studying is applicable to what I will be teaching that day to a specific person.

9:00 am
We have companion study. This study time is revolving around the people we work with and sharing what both missionaries learned in personal study and applying it to our investigators.

9:50 am
The whole mission prays together. Every missionary in the WA-Tac hits the ground and we pray. We thank god for letting us do what we do and pray for the mission goals.

10-11 am
We start 12 week for Elder Porter. This time is just to answer questions for the new missionary and help him adapt better. It’s done for the first 12 weeks inside the mission field.

11 am – 4 pm
We do "missionary work." Oh and how I love it! This involved knocking doors or going to lessons with people we've met. It can also include going and seeing less active members or going to people home who showed interest in the past or were busy when we knocked on their door. I do love it so much talking to people and telling them something that can make their life better than ever before. This makes me more happy then anything I’ve experienced.

4 pm
For an hour we eat dinner (waaaay early). Sometimes we go to member’s home who volunteered to feed us. Others we just go home.

5-7 pm
We knock doors… no matter what. This is a Wa-Tac tradition, I love it (well now I do). It’s not easy. It’s always an adventure but it works. We find people to teach and I love it.

8-9 pm
We continue with missionary work same as before but this time of the day is a lot more valuable. People are home so we can catch and teach them.

9-9:30 pm
We plan for the next day. We go over the plans that are already set and make sure all is good to go.

9:30-10:30 pm
We get ready for bed, have fun with our companions, and wind down from the day. Often we lift weights and do some type of work out again. I’ve always got wiggles.

10:30 pm
We go to bed.

Well that’s a day in the life of a wa-tac missionary. That’s if we have no meetings that day. I love you all am grateful for the support I get from you all.

-Elder Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment